Saturday, September 19, 2009

Vista Tricks

Solution to the missing “Up” button in Vista’s Windows Explorer

I started using Vista when it was RTM well over a year ago. Currently, I use XP Pro on my home desktop and Vista Ultimate 64bit on my laptop. All in all, I’ve had no issues. But one continued to bother me. When using Windows Explorer, the “Up” button was missing. On XP, I used this all the time. It was quite handy.

Most of the time you can just click the folder name in the address bar to go up one folder. But sometimes, like when you’re in folder on your desktop, you have to manually edit the location in the address bar. Kind of a pain.

I figured it was some setting that I had to modify rather than using the default, but never bothered to look for it. After some searching, I found two ways around this problem. I prefer the first. :)

1. It’s so simple. Use ALT + Up Arrow. Genius. ;) This shortcut didn’t exist in previous versions of Windows.

2. Go to MavisApps and download the Mavis Up Button for Vista. ($4.95 with a 5 day trial.) I didn’t give this a try as option 1 is sufficient, but if you do, let me know how it turns out.

Vista: A program needs your permission to continue

If you’ve recently switched to Vista, you’re probably aware of the really annoying prompt asking you if you really want to continue every time you’re making a change, installing a program, breathing, moving your mouse… (If you’ve got some time, check out the really funny Mac commercial making fun of MS due to this “feature”.)

Vista User Account Control Nag Screen

Well, the good news is, you can turn it off. The bad news is, if you’re not technically savvy at all, I wouldn’t recommend it. A general rule of thumb I would say is if you know what C:\windows\system32 is (and don’t say “a folder”), you can probably go ahead and turn it off.

1. Open Control Panel.

2. Open the Security Center.

3. Click “Change the way Security Center alerts me” (on the left)

4. Click “Don’t notify me and don’t display the icon (not recommended)

Don’t notify me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog.Now kindly thanks the publisher by clicking any (ads) available in the blog.You can use My Google Search Engine as your default search engine.Add Comments to my blog posts and share it via different social networks. Mention the flaws left in posts and let me able to better my blog. Moreover,You can suggest me some related links to my blog posts.Bookmark it,soon you will need it again.I will be personally thankful to you.
 

Tips And Tricks Copyright © 2009 Premium Blogger Dashboard Designed by SAER